How does PTSD Develop?
It is normal for people who have experienced or witnessed frightening events to feel very disturbed. Yet only some will develop PTSD. Why this is the case is not fully understood but certain factors are involved. These include:
- How long the trauma lasted and how intensely you were affected
- Whether you witnessed the injuries or death of someone close to you
- Whether you were physically hurt
- To what extent you felt out of control and helpless
- How much help and support you received after the event